Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Yellow-Crowned Night Heron - SOLD

Yellow-Crowned Night Heron
2.5 x 8 inches oil on wood panel

I went scouting for painting references a few weeks ago with my friend Marianne. One of the places we walked is the new extension of the San Antonio River that is by the old Pearl Brewery and flows behind the San Antonio Art Museum. I spotted this bird in a beautiful little pond with a waterfall behind the Art Museum. He was so beautiful and statuesque that I did a double take. He let me take several pictures of him before he stretched his head way up and looked like a different bird. He was fun to paint as a slice but I think he probably deserves a large painting in the future.

Since posting this painting I Googled this guy and he is a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron - and a very handsome one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment